Recipe: The Perfect Medium Rare Mafia Steak – Reverse Sear Method
Recipe by Gareth Dosser from Barbecue Mafia
What you need
- A Weber Kettle or Charcoal Barbecue, or you can use the oven and hot plate
- Hot pan or skillet if using an oven
- Probe thermometer, 1-3 second read is ideal
- Sharp butchers or carving knife to slice
- Aluminium foil
- 1x sirloin, rump, bone in ribeye or tomahawk steak – needs to be at least 1 inch thick so ask your butcher to slice to your requirements
- 30g of Barbecue Mafia Steakout Rub
Heat your Charcoal Barbecue or oven to approximately 100-110 degrees celsius, you’ll need 1 basket of charcoal if using a Kettle.
Coat the steak in a light sprinkle of Steakout Rub, patting down to ensure an even coverage.
Place in the barbecue or oven and slow cook until internal temperature reaches 50 degrees celsius, use the probe thermometer and make sure you probe the thickest or middle part of steak depending on the cut.
Remove when at the required temperature and rest for at least 20-25 minutes in alfoil.
Once rested, place the steak on the grill directly above the charcoal (if using a charcoal barbecue) and sear for one minute on each side. If you’re using an oven, preheat a pan or skillet until it is smoking hot, then sear for 1 minute each side.
Slice and eat your perfectly cooked steak immediately.