Recipe: Eye fillet steak tartare
Stanbroke, 5 years ago 2 min read
- 150g beef eye fillet, cut into 5mm dice
- 15g golden shallots, peeled and very finely chopped
- 20g small salted capers, rinsed and drained
- 20g cornichons, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tsp brandy
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- Tabasco, to taste
- 6 ciabatta slices (about ½cm thick)
- olive oil, for brushing
- coarsely chopped parsley, to serve
Combine ingredients (except ciabatta, egg yolk, olive oil and parsley) in a large bowl and mix well. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside to come to room temperature (around ½ hr).
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C. Brush both sides of ciabatta slices with olive oil, then bake on an oven tray, turning once, until golden brown (7-8 minutes). Cool briefly.
Mould the tartare on a plate using a ring mould (you can find these at a kitchen or hospitality store, if not a cookie cutter mould will work sufficiently).
Once the tartare is moulded remove the ring mould, place egg yolk in the middle and finish with some sharp parmesan or cheddar grated over the top. Serve with croutons, cornichorns and mustard.