Recipe: Black Angus Tomahawk Steak in a Coffee Peppercorn Crust
This recipe for Black Angus bone-in tomahawk in a coffee peppercorn crust is served with herb jus, béarnaise sauce, and mustards, and an assortment of sides. I’ve chosen sautéed forest mushrooms, baby vegetables, parmesan truffle fries and purple sweet potato mash. At The Kunlun Jing An this is presented on a trolley and carved by a chef. You can do the same at home to impress guests with this great steak.
- 1 Australian Black Angus Bone-in Tomahawk
- 2 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp ground coffee beans
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp coarse salt
Vegetables, mash and fries
- Forest mushrooms, butter, garlic, fresh thyme, parsley
- A selection of in-season vegetables eg. asparagus, baby carrots, broccolini, zucchini, green fine beans
- Purple sweet potato, cream, butter, salt, cinnamon powder, ground cardamom, maple syrup, pecan nuts
- French fries, parmesan powder, parsley, truffle oil
- Store-bought mustards (dijon, pommery), béarnaise sauce and herb jus
For the beef
Mix all of the coffee/pepper rub ingredients together in a bowl.
Let the beef warm to room temperature, and season with the coffee/pepper rub you’ve just prepared.
Turn the grill on high heat and add your seasoned tomahawk steak.
Seal on both sides and continue cooking slowly to your desired doneness. Alternatively you can cook it through in the oven after sealing.
For the vegetables, mash and fries
Sauté the assorted mushrooms in the butter, garlic, fresh thyme and parsley.
Cook the baby vegetables to your liking.
Deep fry or roast your french fries before tossing with parmesan powder and chopped parsley. Drizzle with truffle oil.
Peel your purple sweet potato and cut into cubes before boiling until tender. Remove from the water and add cream, butter and a little salt. Mash thoroughly and finish with cinnamon powder, ground cardamom and maple syrup. Serve with toasted, chopped pecan nuts.
Serve with store-bought béarnaise, mustards and herb jus.