Recipe: Beef stir fry with garlic shoots, eggplant and mushrooms
This recipe for beef stir fry with garlic shoots, eggplant and mushrooms is a quick and easy fix for a week night that incorporates meat and veggies and lots of flavour.
- 400 g of thinly sliced beef
- 1 ½ tsp of ground coriander
- ½ tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of palm sugar, grated
- ½ cup of peanut oil
- 200g of baby eggplant, halved lengthways
- 2 bunches of garlic shoots or scapes, cut into 5cm lengths (If you can’t find garlic shoots, substitute with about 2 tsp of minced garlic)
- 200g of mixed Asian mushrooms
- ¼ cup of Thai-style chilli jam (nam prik pao)
- ¼ cup of deep fried shallots, plus extra to serve
- ⅓ cup of coriander leaves
Combine beef strips, ground coriander, chilli powder, fish sauce and palm sugar in a bowl and mix well. Leave to marinate for 30 mins.
Bring a large wok to high heat. Add half the oil and the beef and stir fry for 1-2 minutes until just cooked. Remove from wok and set aside.
Add remaining oil and eggplant and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside.
Drain all but 2 tbsp of oil from the wok and return to high heat. Add garlic shoots and stir fry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for a further 1–2 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Reduce heat to low, return beef and eggplant to the wok with the chilli jam, shallots and 1 tbsp water. Toss gently for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Remove from heat and toss through coriander.
Serve garnished with extra shallots.
This recipe was first published on 21 November 2018 and updated on 21 April 2021.